Individualized Learning Plan (ILP)
A Key Element in Your Student's Success
An Individualized Learning Plan provides each student with a holistic roadmap to support his or her journey through Insight School of Michigan and onward to post-secondary opportunities.
Developed in partnership with the student's family and Insight staff, the Individualized Learning Plan captures course plans, personal interests and a student's college and career aspirations. For a struggling student, the ILP takes on even greater importance.
Typically led by the lead teacher for your student, the ILP team creates a unique plan for each child, designed to organize and properly sequence your student's coursework while articulating his or her academic strengths and challenges. Some students are ready to move more quickly in one subject but need extra help in others. The ILP establishes a strategy to help make the right choices for your student.
A crucial element is our unique assessment testing.
- We use leading evaluation methods to clearly identify and monitor your student's strengths and challenges.
- Each child takes benchmark tests at the beginning of the year to diagnose strengths and challenges.
- We include, but go beyond, state testing with a focus on fine-tuning exactly what each child needs.
- We develop realistic learning objectives and a comprehensive, customized plan to reach goals.
- Ongoing testing is administered, as needed, to ensure each child is making progress against goals: this is a powerful aspect of our individualized approach, as it enables teachers and parents to know how much progress a child is actually making.
For high school students, the ILP expands beyond academic objectives to include post-secondary goals for college and/or a career.
The ILP is informed by teachers who work with tools in the Online School (OLS) to make sure the lesson plans are based on your child's needs and the progress he or she has made to date. Parents and older students can use the planning and progress tools to organize their schedule, create flexibility when needed, and track completed work. These easy-to-use features give you the real-time information you want and the structure your child needs.
As important as the Individualized Learning Plan is, it is just one of the innovative elements that make up our plan for your student's success. For example, read on to learn about the unique Social and Emotional Learning program.